September 04, 2020
Austral Fisheries is one of Australia’s largest integrated commercial fishing companies, with interests in both deep-sea fishing, at-sea prawning and Demersal Tropical snappers. During any given fishing season, we could have upwards of 180 people at sea on 15 boats in three different Australian fisheries. Whilst we operate from the sub-antarctic to the tropics, we are headquartered in Perth, Western Australia and have been in operation for over 45 years
Opportunities exist for a Chief or 1st Engineer onboard our Southern fleet of vessels, there are multifunctional mode vessels within our fleet rigged for various combination of autoline, potting and trawling, and has the opportunity to combine all these fishing methods in one single trip. Primarily, the vessel will fish for Patagonian Toothfish in the Southern Ocean, but it will also trawl for Icefish and other species.
We currently have positions available for Chief or 1st Engineers to join our fleet
- • Engineer Class 2 certificate of competency
- • STCW VI/1(1) certificate of safety training with security endorsement
- • AMSA Medical certificate
- • ARC refrigerant handling licence
- • A minimum of 2 years similar experience on Deep-sea factory trawlers over 60 metres
- • Captain Hook system (pressure system)
- • Long Lining, Trawling, Potting equipment ( BGF Mustad , Rep Marine)
- • Ships security Officer (SSO)
- • Working with heights
- • Confined space entry
- • Restricted electrical licence
- • Experience operating ammonia refrigeration plants.
A heavy understanding of electronic factory processing equipment ( Baader, Multi vac packing machines, Marel scales, strapping machines is essential.
You will need the ability to work at sea for long periods of time, in some of the roughest seas in the world. Full medical and police clearance will be required, and the right to work in Australia.
If you have the right experience and attitude that meets Austral Fisheries value and ethics, please send your resume and covering letter to
Lesley Leyland ( General MGR, Quality, Safety & People)